Homestay Program - For Homestay Parents
Our host families are an important partner in the International Education Program in New Westminster. Due to our smaller, tight knit community we are proud to be able to offer our international students a welcoming home environment while they attend school in our city. Hosting an international student is a wonderful way to learn about another culture and an excellent way to create friendships that last long after the student has returned home.
However, before applying to our program we would like interested host families to consider the following:
What is a successful host family?
A family that is welcoming and patient.
The students in our program come from many different countries. For a young high school student to be far away from home and family it can be overwhelming. Our host families must be conscious of this and assist the student in integrating into the school and community. This may not be easy and will require understanding and patience especially while a student is improving their language ability.
We do not accept hosts who are interested in the homestay fee only. We are not responsible for providing student placements to assist in meeting the financial obligations of the host family. If this is the only goal of hosting a young person in the host home it quickly becomes obvious to the student and removes the learning and communal environment that should be present in the home.
A family with time.
A host family is not expected to be beside their student every minute of the day. However, our host families should be interested in sharing their lifestyles and hobbies with their students and to be able to assist them in a time of need. Most students comment that being involved with host family activities was the best time of their experience in Canada.
A family that is open.
All members of the family should discuss their level of openness for having an unrelated person from another culture staying with them and the implications that this will have on their privacy and “comfort level” in their own home. Activities and schedules that you never thought about before may need to be adjusted with the introduction of a new person to the home.
We invite you to read the information contained on this web site related to host families and students. If you would like to apply to the program we would be happy to receive your application. The process is as follows:
- Thoroughly read and discuss the information related to hosting as presented on this web site.
- Complete, initial and sign the host family application that is available on this web site or through the Homestay Manager in the International Education Office.
- Submit the application form by email or regular mail to the Homestay Manager.
- The Homestay Manager will review your application and depending on the time of year and demand for host families will contact you to arrange a home visit.
- During the home visit the Homestay Manager will discuss hosting students in more detail and will view the host student room and common areas of your home.
- All adults (18 years of age and above) in the host home must successfully complete a background check through their local police department.
- When all documentation is received you are ready to welcome your first student into your home!
The Homestay Manager will place students based on suitability, availability and location. It is the goal of our program to achieve the best match for our students and host families.